NOTE: This recipe makes 3 servings.
- 2 rice packets (or 1 cup of Basmati Rice)
- 3.5 green chilis (cut length-wise)
- 1/2 of a white onion (cut length-wise)
- 3 pieces of garlic
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/6 cup frozen peas
- 1 tsp canola oil
- 1 tsp ghee (or 2 tsp canola oil)
- 1/4 can of canned coconut milk
- Salt to taste (we recommend 1/2 tsp)
1. Heat oil in a pan on a medium flame until hot.
2. Add the bay leaves to the heated oil, cloves, cinnamon stick, garlic, and green
3. Add the onion and sauté until onions are golden brown.
4. Add the washed basmati rice and salt.
5. Add the coconut milk and 3 cups of water. Increase to high heat.
6. Taste to see if the salt and the spice level are good, if not add more salt.
7. Once the water comes to a boil, add the peas and close the pot with a lid or silver foil.
8. Reduce the flame to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
9. Let it sit for 10 more minutes before you open it.