5 Reasons You Need Turmeric In Your Diet
Turmeric is all the rage right now. Before honey lattes, or "golden milk", were a thing, turmeric was a common spice used in many Asian dishes, especially Indian ones. And there's a reason for that! Check out our five favorite facts we found out about one of the hottest, and best, spices to hit the Western world.
1. Turmeric comes from the curcumin root, a distant cousin of ginger, and has been used as a condiment, textile dye, and health remedy for centuries. It's most commonly identified in a deep yellow powder form.
2. It's been used as an anti-inflammatory agent since ancient times to treat many issues including jaundice, menstrual cramps, hemorrhaging, toothaches, bruises, chest pain, and colic.
3. Not only is it anti-inflammatory, but turmeric also has antioxidant and antimicrobial properties which makes it a perfect medicine for everything from common colds to Alzheimer's disease and arthritis. It boosts your immune system from the inside out!
4. This super spice helps your brain, too! Studies have shown that turmeric can boost your mood and improve your long-term cognitive function. It impacts a hormone called brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) which has a huge impact on depression and detrimental brain changes that might occur.
5. Want to lower your sodium intake? Replace your salt with turmeric! Not only will you keep the tangy, flavorful taste of your food, but turmeric is also a healthier option to mix with almost anything.
Want an easy way to get some turmeric into your meal plan? Try our daal, khichdi, or sambar for a hefty dose of turmeric in any meal. We can't wait to hear how it helps improve your mind, body, and spirit from the inside out :)