5 Health Benefits From Semolina
In this day and age, we all want to know what's going into our body, and for good reason. What we eat determines how we look and feel, and really makes a difference in our overall health. At Buttermilk, since our recipes come from the kitchens of real people who've fed the same food to their families, we already know that the recipes are authentic and healthy. But we wanted to do some research on our own to figure out just how healthy our ingredients are and to make sure that we're giving you the best food out there.
Semolina is the main ingredient in two of our products, upma and khichdi. And we were so excited to find out that not only is semolina delicious, it's super good for you, too! No wonder Indian families all over the world make upma and khichdi for breakfast, lunch, dinner, snack...it's a tasty + healthy meal all in one! Here's what we found:
- Boosts energy. A semolina meal keeps you full and charged throughout the day which helps you perform better, whether you have a busy day at work or school, are running errands, or burning the midnight oil on a passion project. Not to mention that it puts off that afternoon 'food coma' we all feel after a heavy meal.
- Improves your heart. Semolina contains large amounts of selenium, which prevents infections and strengthens the immune system. This means it improves your cardiovascular health which helps prevent heart attacks and heart failures. The short-term and long-term benefits of improved heart health are huge!
- Prevents anemia. Where all my anemic girls at?! Many people (women in particular) suffer from anemia which means your body lacks iron. Lucky for us, semolina is an "excellent source for iron". Increasing the iron in your diet increases your blood circulation which gives you more fuel to do the 5 million things on your to-do list everyday.
- Keeps your bones and nervous system healthy. Semolina contains "phosphorus, zinc and magnesium which is necessary for the maintenance of a good nervous system". This also increases your bone density and keeps them strong. As someone who's starting to get creaky bones already, this is super important.
- Fills you up. If you've had our upma or khichdi before, you know that the mashed-potato-like consistency can seem small but is extremely filling. Not only does this prevent you from overeating, but semolina also contains durum wheat which keeps you full for a longer period of time. It's also digested slowly increasing your ability to shed fat. Say what?!
And if all that isn't enough, here's another pro: since semolina is so easy to mix with different spices and vegetables, you can literally make it however you want. The versatility of upma and khichdi are what make it such a favorite among Indians and non-Indians alike. Plus, they're so easy to make - not only will you have time to eat breakfast but you'll be eating a healthy one, too!
Source: The Health Site